June 11, 2010

Bolder Boulder 2010

I finished 23,859th out of about 54,000 runners and walkers at the Bolder Boulder on May 31, 2010. I think that finishing in the top 50% is quite impressive. The race was a 10k, or 6.2 miles, and I think it's just about as far as I've ever run in 68 minutes and 21 seconds.

I'll just mention that I was never meant to run, it wasn't "in the cards for me" and is not a natural ability I have. Heck, I'm knock-kneed! But I want to be a runner. It's something I strive for and have to work at every day. Since January of this year not only have I been running, but I've change what and how I eat, I've been attending amazing hot yoga classes (I don't see how anyone can run without yoga!) and I'm practically obsessed with running clothes and gadgets.

I love it, and running is good for me (I've lost 20 lbs this year); but without these few people who've pushed me, I'd wouldn't be a runner. My cousin Traci because she encourages me to be healthy physically and emotionally- she runs. My met-on-Craigslist old roommate and bestie Megan because we are doing this (running, yoga, eating better) together. Another cousin, Brianne, mostly because we're competitive- she runs too. My chic Minneapolis girly, Marci because she shares my running and yoga retail-obsession and is usually available on gChat 40+ hours a week. And all the other strong female runners and yogis in my life - Jessie, Melis (although she's way out of my league), Katy, Briana and many more. I am so fortunate to have so many awesome ladies in my life!

Megan and me after the BB

Runner’s World magazine named the Bolder Boulder America’s Best 10K in its annual “Best of Running” issue.

Stats from my run at the Bolder Boulder:

overall place: 23914
place: 381 out of 743
gender place: 10,145 out of 26,494
mile 1: 00:10:20.64
mile 2: 00:11:16.88
mile 3: 00:11:25.02
mile 4: 00:11:09.68
mile 5: 00:10:33.68
mile 6: 00:11:16.00
net time: 01:08:21.11
pace: 11:00 (based on net time)

My goal was to finish in 70 to 72 minutes or less. I finished in 68 minutes and 21 seconds and couldn't be happier. In late July I'll start setting a goal for the Denver Rock 'n Roll 1/2 Marathon. I don't think running would be fun if I didn't have a goal or something to compete with - whether it's another person or just myself.

Here are some of the tools I use to keep myself motivated - Nike+, a Polar Heart Rate Monitor, Runners World and I stay connected with other runners on Twitter.

And finally, in case I didn't inspire you enough- here are some great Reasons to Race.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! I'm jealous. I've tried to be a runner but I have two REALLY big problems hanging out right in front of me. I'm sure you know what I speak of! :) Not cooperative!

Kathryn Shanahan said...

That's funny, they (in general) definitely get in the way.